How Do You Select the Best Stucco Repair Company in Paradise?
So you’ve made the decision to have stucco applied to your home. Or, maybe you just need a repair. Either way, you’ll need to look up stucco contractors in Paradise so that the project can be completed. You may be tempted to just open up a phone book and call the first contractor with a big ad, but that is not the way to go. Just about anyone can take out an ad, and having a larger one only means that they spent a little more money on advertising. Like any other skilled trade, learning how to apply stucco is not only an art but a science as well. Having the proper insurance, bonding, employees, portfolio of satisfied clients and ethical business practices should be the criteria you base hiring a contractor on. Doing an initial background check on a potential contractor now will save you copious amounts of work later.
First, you need to establish exactly what your project will entail. Then you need to contact a few contractors and ask them for a cost quote. It’s a good idea to let them know right away that you are going to be speaking to several contractors to see what their bids are. This can save you time when trying to negotiate a good price. Throw in some terminology about your specific project if you can. You will appear to be more knowledgeable than the average customer, so you will be less likely to be taken advantage of. Once you have gotten a few quotes, look for the median price. A good contractor will price fairly. Too low of a price may indicate an inexperienced contractor, while a high price may be a predatory contractor. Find the three or four contractors that are close to the median price and contact them for more information.
Qualified stucco contractors will have up to date insurance and licensing. This information will either be on hand, or in their office. Asking to view or make a copy of their paperwork is neither rude nor uncommon. If a contractor acts insulted or repeatedly gives excuses as to why the paperwork cannot be produced, you probably shouldn’t do business with them. Whether these are stalling tactics or they are just really unorganized, they are indicators of an unprofessional business person.
How to Cover Exterior Brick With Stucco
The stucco method of repair work is an absolute must for people in the maintenance field. Holes in the wall just seem to happen. Cracks in plaster ceilings can be a nightmare to repair. Any one who has owned an apartment building know the value of someone with the ability make these repairs.
When you do have a hole in a wall or ceiling, first thing is to back the hole with something so the stucco doesn't fall through. Holes up to the size of what a doorknob might make, can be repaired in this way. After filling the hole with backing, use Sheetrock compound or plaster to fill the hole even or a little above the surface of the wall. A 6 inch putty knife is great to start with.
Next apply Sheetrock tape over the hole and past the edge at least several inches. Use the putty knife to push the tape into the wet mud. Apply a second coat of compound or plaster over the tape. Now we wait. A household fan can be used to help speed the drying time.
Your repair is dry when it turns completely white, do not try to sand or make it any smoother while it's drying. This will only make a mess you'll have to sand out later. You'll have plenty of time to make it right on the next coat.
Apply another coat of your product over the first. This time use a ten inch putty knife and expand the layer you put on past the edge of the previous coat. First pull the knife across the repair centered. Next pass, you'll stay half on and half off your patch putting slightly more pressure on the half off, this will smooth the edge. Then repeat the half on half off method on the other half, making sure to always put more pressure on the half that's off.
If you have a badly cracked ceiling, this type of repair can be used to skim coat a small area or an entire ceiling. Repairs to cracks can be made in the same way as we fixed the hole. A vinyl adhesive caulking, can take the place of our newspaper. This will help to keep the cracks from reappearing. Tape is also not necessary with this method.
If you have loose plaster. Ceiling washers as their called are available at most hardware stores as well as building supply houses. These are a large beveled fender washer with a hole in the center. Using a Sheetrock screw they can pull loose plaster back to their lathes. These small beauties can turn a rip out job into a repair job, saving thousands of dollars.
After caulking your cracks, run the six inch knife across them with compound, or plaster. Apply thin coats and make sure to let them dry thoroughly between coats. Keep using a larger knife with each coat. The feathering technique explained before runs true here. Have fun with it. Remember one very important thing, when you stucco the next coat can fix anything.
How to Cover Exterior Brick With Stucco
Stucco is a popular siding material used in buildings and homes. Stucco siding is noticeable in homes with Tuscan-Style or Spanish-Mission Style. A lot of homes in the US already applied stucco for the exterior part of their homes; while others use them for the interiors of their home. Those who are planning to build a new home should certainly consider using this stucco siding for the construction of their house.
Here are the 5 main reasons why you should use stucco siding:
- Stucco is commonly used for the exterior part of the house but some homeowners use stucco siding on the interiors of their home and design it to any pattern they like. You can also hire a craftsman to create great stonework and designs for you. The rustic look of stucco homes makes it more attractive especially with Tuscan or Spanish styles. Many luxurious homes are now built using stucco because it is makes the exterior wall look beautiful. If you want to design your interior using stucco you can use pigments to add color to the stucco siding.
2.) Low Cost and Maintenance
- Stucco is comparatively inexpensive compared to other building materials. Moreover, it is even more durable than other more expensive materials. It also requires low maintenance unlike buildings applied with paint. After a couple of years, paint is removed from the wall so you need to regularly maintain and re-apply paint. But with stucco, you do not need to regularly maintain or fix it. As long as the stucco is applied correctly, then it will last for many, many years.
If you decide to add pigment to stucco, you should make sure the stucco is completely dry so that it will remain strong even after applying color.
- The most wonderful characteristic of stucco is its durability. If properly applied, stucco can last for even up to a hundred years. If you are uncertain on how it is applied, then consult a professional to do the job.
4.) Applicable to many architectural styles
- Stucco can be applied to many architectural styles. It is most common on Tuscan and Spanish styles but depending on what style you like you can create wonderful stonework using stucco siding. You can hire a good artisan to design your walls for you.
5.) Great Weather Repellant
- Stucco can withstand bad weather conditions and can protect your home from both wind and rain. Stucco siding is also fire-resistant thus it can protect your home from damage.
As long as you apply stucco siding correctly, you will enjoy the benefits it can provide you and your home. Use stucco now and see how useful it can be.